home | previous | next

Suffolk Resolves House
Suffolk Resolves House Old

A simple, 16' x 30' two-room plan1 colonial house when it was built in 1763, it became celebrated as the “Birthplace of American Liberty” with an 1874 commemoration of centennial of the Suffolk Resolves. The house came to its Georgian form seen here in 1785 with the addition of the front hall and parlor, and long had stood at the present site of the Citizens Bank on Adams Street, in Milton Village. Revolutionary War surgeon Dr. Amos Holbrook lived there until he built his larger home at the top of Milton Hill, and his son-in-law, Dr. Thaddeus William Harris, conducted from this house much of the entomological research which made him famous. In the twentieth century it was devoted to commercial purposes, among them the Luther R. Gibson Plumbing Shop and the Charles W. Stiles Electrical Shop. A book drop of the Milton Public Library was located on the second floor after the library was moved to Milton Centre in 1904. The house, to avoid demolition, was moved in 1950 to a corner of the Ayer Estate on Canton Avenue, where it is now the headquarters of the Milton Historical Society.

1q.v. Abbott Lowell Cummings, The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay, 1625-1725, Chapter III.