home | previous | next

Glover-Adams-Gardner House
Glover-Gardner House postcard

Built ca. 1785 at 594 Adams Street was the home of stone mason William N. Gardner.  In 1825 the cornerstone of the Bunker Hill Monument was laid by General Lafayette, with William N. Gardner and Gridley Bryant acting as master builders.  Gardner started his stone work training at age 12,  progressing rapidly, and at 21 went to work with Gridley Bryant.  He laid the stone foundation for the Granite Railway, the first railroad in the country which ran from Quincy to the Neponset  River in Milton carrying granite for the Bunker Hill Monument. Gardner's masonry skill can be seen on the Bunker Hill monument, Paul's Bridge and the Central Avenue stone bridge over the Neponset River, the Quincy Town Hall, and the tomb of Solomon Willard, architect of the Bunker Hill monument.